Thursday, December 9, 2010

Honorable or Irresponsible?

The video posted below has been making its way around several media circles, and it's pretty hilarious. It's also quite relevant and a little unsettling for some because of its truth.



In response to this video, the website/forum DrumChattr has opened up some discussion on the topic. One commenter brought up the idea that maybe we shouldn't focus so much on money and status, as long as we are pursuing a passion and enjoy what we're doing. Some have no problem encouraging a student to study music in college even if they don't make a career of it. Is it honorable to pursue what you love doing? Or is it irresponsible to blindly "do what I want to do"? My response:

While I completely agree that far too much emphasis is placed on money, status, appearance, etc. in this country/world, and that there is a great deal of value in simply enjoying what you do (in this case, being a musician), I am afraid that a lack of responsibility and real-world understanding is what often comes out of students who major in performance. 


I do not feel comfortable encouraging a student to choose a field of study in which they likely won't get a job after school, unless that student has a good understanding what they're getting into and how to begin to overcome some of those obstacles. We too often say, "Go! Pursue what you want!" and that student ends up paying the price in huge student loan debt, poor financial decisions, and others have to foot the bills for the starving artist. This certainly isn't every music student, but I argue that it's far too many. 


And while money certainly isn't the most important thing, it is still important. My family and I must eat, be clothed, and have a roof over our heads. And it is my responsibility to provide those things. Not my parents' or the government's.


With bachelors and masters degrees in performance from a pretty high-level music school, I slid through several years without much training regarding real-world job situations. Thankfully, this is something David Cutler and others are addressing well, and many schools are taking it more seriously. 


However, I often see attitudes like this: "I got my degree(s), now where's that job that's waiting for me? Oh, you mean there's not a job just waiting for me? I have to create work? My degree/skillset/experience doesn't automatically get me a job?" But most will agree, a degree does not equal career success. I admit I had some thoughts along these lines, and now I'm fighting to make a living as a musician. I love what I do, but I want future students to have as realistic a picture as possible of what it's like in the real world, so they have an easier time than me once they get here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment