Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The use of technology in practice

Many readers may already make use of some or all of the ideas mentioned below, but I thought I would share a few uses of technology that have aided me in practice and preparation for performance.



Audio recording - DUH. This is an obvious one. But surprisingly underused (admittedly by myself, too!). The feedback provided by the objective, unbiased recording device can be very humbling. As one of my teachers put it, "If you think you're having a good day in the practice room [and your head is getting big], record yourself playing." Audio recording is useful in improvisation; it can help you remember the bits and pieces that you liked best so you can use them in the future. Recording also provides a means for tracking progress and archiving past performances.

Good recording devices (all available at Sweetwater):
   - Zoom H4n (~$300)
   - Zoom H1 (~$100)
   - Zoom Q3 (audio + video, ~$200)
   - TASCAM DR-3 (~$80)

Video recording - Similar benefits to audio recording. Also offers a view of what the audience will see. You can use video to focus in on technical skills (How do my hands look? How about the motion of my arms? Do I look relaxed?). Another benefit of both video and audio recording is the added sense of performance. It's like someone else is listening once you hit RECORD. I have found this to be quite valuable in the long run. Even if you never watch the video you took (you should watch it!), there is still the benefit of an added sense of pressure during practice.

Audio software - Software that can speed up or slow down music. Software that can loop segments, combine independent chunks of music, or add a metronome to a recording to aid in practicing. With my drum corps background, and continued teaching experience in the marching activity, I recognize the importance of many many reps. Loop it. Over and over again. So I occasionally make use of audio software to slow down a segment and loop it. The computer plays the recording again and again while I run 20 or 30 reps of that chunk until I get it. (Or until my neighbors starting banging on the walls. Just kidding. That hasn't happened. Yet.) Making use of such software is especially helpful in preparation of concerti (if you have a recording), rep with electronic accompaniment, and orchestral excerpts, though I'm sure there are other great uses.

Good software to use for this type of work:
   - Audacity (free)
   - Amazing Slow Downer (This is great for slowing down AND setting up loops, ~$30)
   - Garage Band (comes with all Mac computers)

Notation software/playback - An example of this is a project I'm working on right now. I'm preparing a duet concert with a friend who lives in a different state, so one way we can practice is to input both parts into a notation program (in my case, Sibelius) and create audio files of each part from the MIDI playback. I send him my part to practice with, and I listen to his part when I practice. It's like a virtual duet partner. Now, there are some limitations here, but with the quality sample libraries available, one can create a pretty good quality recording that is still quite helpful. Another use of notation software is simply to create some sort of recording of a piece of which you can't find a recording (or one doesn't exist, as in the case of a new work). Though it can be time consuming to input an entire piece, it might be worth it. Or maybe only a segment of a work needs to be inputted for playback.

Video sharing websites - Such as YouTube and Vimeo. These are good for checking out what other folks are doing as well as sharing video of yourself, if you so desire. (Word of caution: I do not recommend posting video of a "work in progress" or work that is not your best. No one really wants to watch a video and read all the excuses of how you're still working on it, and your dog ate the 3rd page of music so that's why you missed all the notes on that page, etc..) These can be valuable tools if used well.

While I am sure there are other ways to use technology to aid in practicing, these are a great start. Please send me thoughts if you have other creative ways to use technology and I'll post them!

No comments:

Post a Comment