Friday, July 5, 2013

Moving On (Part 2 of 2)

(If you missed Part 1, click here.)

Despite leaving many wonderful experiences and people in Indiana, what I am walking into at Southeastern University is a fantastic opportunity. Since finishing a masters degree in 2010, I have been freelancing in Indianapolis, but ultimately with a goal in mind of teaching college percussionists. Not only do I get this opportunity, but in a full-time position, with benefits (health insurance for musicians is NOT a given), surrounded by super helpful and welcoming people, in a state I don't mind moving to (it could be a lot worse...). I thought I would share a little more about what I'm stepping into, and the process by which this job has become a reality for me, with the hope that it may prove helpful for those interested in teaching college, and at least somewhat interesting to others.

Doctorate or Not?


While many musicians with a goal of teaching college just go for the doctorate degree right away, others may wrestle with this decision as I did. I am far from an expert in this, and my experience is only one of thousands who have found their way into a college teaching gig. However, I decided not to pursue further schooling immediately after my masters, while keeping the door open for possibly pursuing a doctorate in the future. As one of my teachers put it, when searching for a college teaching job, you can enter through the front door or the back door. The front door is earning a doctorate, which sets you up for more employers to look seriously at you. The back door is skipping the terminal degree and building a resume so strong and undeniable that an employer decides they want you to teach at their school because of what you have already accomplished and the draw that you will have due to your success. I may have bypassed both doors and broken in, because I am not a doctor, nor have I exactly built a resume like the one I just described. In any case, SEU has decided to give me a chance, and for this I am extremely thankful.

(Note: Doctorate or not, being a genuinely nice and professional person can take you a long way. You've heard it before, and I'm saying it again...be professional. Always.)

The Process

I have been searching and applying for college positions of all sorts since I was still in school finishing my masters. Sabbatical replacements, adjunct, full-time, tiny schools, big-time schools, nearby, totally in the middle of nowhere. I've probably applied for 8-10 positions (many I didn't even apply for), and most never responded at all. The more settled I became at Center Grove, the less fervently I searched for college jobs, almost giving up hope for the time. But after a little spark from my wife in January, I decided to check out what was available. Much to my surprise, I saw a posting on Chronicle.com for an adjunct position at Southeastern University. It caught my attention not just because it was one of two percussion jobs listed, but because a few good friends of mine in Indy actually went to that school! I jokingly sent the listing to one friend and said, "Hey, maybe I'll teach at your alma mater!"

Well, I applied with little expectation, and a little annoyance, because it was a generic paper application used for all university employees. (No online application annoys me? Pretty spoiled of me, I know.) Materials required included recordings of my playing and groups I've taught, a Teaching Philosophy Statement, C.V., and a Statement of Faith (SEU is an Assemblies of God Christian University). I immediately heard back from the university, telling me that they received the materials and looked forward to reviewing them. It was pleasant to know that a human being was on the other side of this. 

Long story made a little less long: there was occasional communication with the chair of the music department over the next couple of months, including the news that the position was being made full-time instead of adjunct. This was obviously very good news for someone weighing the option of moving 1000 miles away for a job. Towards the end of May, I was asked to send a video of my drum set playing, as teaching drum set was to be a major part of this position, and I didn't have a lot of drum set experience on my resume. The video I sent seemed to be convincing enough, and I was invited for an interview a few days later.

I flew down for a day long interview process, during which I met with a few music faculty, performed about 25 minutes of material, and met with the University Provost. One day later I accepted an offer to join the faculty as Instructor of Percussion. A 4-month process finally had come to an end. (For those interested in college teaching, be patient with the process.)

What I'll Be Doing

My duties include teaching all private percussion lessons, percussion methods (for music education majors), and possibly teaching a music theory course. A large part of SEU hiring a new percussion teacher was that they needed someone to teach marching percussion. The university is starting a football team for 2014, and the administration hopes to have a drumline starting next fall, as well. So part of my job will be to recruit and train a drumline to debut in 2014. This will include getting out and meeting high school teachers and students, performing for them, and sharing about what Southeastern has to offer.

Southeastern has not previously had a full-time percussion teacher, so while I am faced with some pretty big challenges, they have given me some flexibility and freedom to build a program the way I see fit. I am invigorated and motivated by the task before me, because I know that I am supported by a community of people who want nothing more than to help me and see me succeed. Already, I have received such warm welcomes and offers to help. There's a great deal to figure out and prepare before August 21 when classes start, but I'm thankful for the opportunity and I'm up for the challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment