Sunday, November 21, 2010

And the Winner Is...

Last night was the finale of the TROMP Percussion Competition and Festival. All three finalists played Michael Torke's Mojave, concerto for marimba and orchestra, as well as one choice piece. Three very different performances were witnessed, which made for some difficult decisions by the juries deciding the awards.

After all was said and done, the winner was Alexej Gerassimez from Germany. Second place went to Mike Truesdell (USA), and third was awarded to Vassilena Serafimova (Bulgaria). Alexej also won the Press Prize, the Friends of TROMP Audience Award, and the youth jury prize. His total winnings amount to 20,000 Euros, while Mike won 10,000 Euros, and Vassilena won 7,000 Euros.

The night was not finished with the finals concert. A reception for TROMP participants, friends, and families was held in the music center, and following that, most of the competitors and several jury members went out for drinks and conversation at a local establishment. It was sort of a last hurrah for everyone because many people are leaving today. While this is the only large-scale or international competition I've done, it is apparent that this one is unique in that it's really about the experience. I hear from other people who have done other international competitions that it is not normal for everyone to hang out so much, and really get to know eachother so well. As I have mentioned before, there has been a great deal of free time, so what else is there to do but spend time with other competitors (who, of course, are not competing anymore at that point)? It really felt like a big party of friends at the bar last night, jury members included. The percussion world is rather small, and I fully expect to see many of the people I've met in the future, and it's nice to have made so many connections.

Today is my last day in Eindhoven. I am attending a couple clinics this afternoon, followed by a concert tonight featuring Terry Bozzio (formerly the drummer for Frank Zappa)! I am very excited to see him play! My flight leaves Amsterdam tomorrow (Monday) at 10:50AM local time, and I'm scheduled to arrive in Indianapolis around 4:30PM local time.

For those of you who have kept up at all during my trip, thanks for your support and for caring about me! There has never been a moment when I didn't feel the support of my friends and family back home! Thank you!

NOTE: I plan to maintain this blog after I return, though the format will change a bit. The goal is to post relevant percussion and music information and thoughts that encourage the advancement of the art in one way or another. Please stay tuned if this interests you!

No comments:

Post a Comment