Saturday, November 13, 2010

Round One

Round One kicked off today with yours truly leading the charge. I was quite pleased with how I performed. The perfectionist in me knows there were several mistakes, and wishes I could have a few things back, but the realist in me knows that that performance was about as well as I was going to play based on the preparation I have done.

Being first in anything often comes with a bit of an adjustment period as you and the people around you get used to what's going on. And since I was first today, I didn't know what to expect as far as stage etiquette. Will they clap? Should I introduce myself? The pieces I'm playing? Not talk at all? Do I bow? Will I be announced? Will they tell me when to start? What do I do if no one does anything? Well, you can probably guess where I'm going with this.

No announcement. No clapping. No sound. Not a peep.

So I smiled, glanced through the audience (which consisted of 8 jury members, 5 youth jury members, a few helpers, and about 6-8 other people, including a few other competitors), went to my vibraphone, and began playing. It went well for me, I think. Again, I could tear it apart as I think through it, but I remember thinking, "Hmmm...that wasn't bad!" after I finished.

Then more silence.

I changed sticks and went to my drum setup. Checked the judges, and gave them a minute to write, then began Rebonds. This was probably the most nerve-wracking piece of the first few, and it was also pretty good. I enjoyed playing it, and the mistakes were quite small. The interpretation is different from some others' but that's the fun of hearing so many people play.

I have since watched several other players, and I'm so impressed! It's very cool to see so many great players, and as I suspected, all playing very differently. I would absolutely hate to be a judge for this competition. Very challenging.

Tomorrow is completely off for me, as Round 1 continues into tomorrow. Twelve play today, and 18 tomorrow. Then Monday is Round 2, which will include everyone still. After Monday's round, they cut it down to 6 for the semi-finals on Wednesday, and 3 advance to the finals on Saturday.

I'm off to relax some more. As one guys put it earlier today when I mentioned I was exhausted, "You spend a whole day's energy in 20 minutes." I'd say that's pretty accurate.

No comments:

Post a Comment