Sunday, November 14, 2010

Sinterklaas came to town!

Staying with a Dutch host family has many perks, and one of those is that we really get to learn about the Dutch culture. One of their traditions is based around Sinterklaas (yes, similar to Santa Claus, but not the same), who is from Spain (doesn't he look Spanish?). I admit I don't fully understand the whole story, but I know that he arrives by boat this time each year with all his helpers (who are called Zwarte Piers, or Black Peters...it's a little odd). If the children are good, they get candy when they put their shoe by the fireplace, but if they are bad, Sinterklaas's helpers come in and beat the kids or kidnaps them and takes them back to Spain.



Well, Mark (my roommate) and I must have been good enough, because we put our shoes by the fireplace last night, and by golly, when we got up, there was candy in our shoes! Then we got to listen to some Dutch children's songs about Sinterklaas. Meanwhile, there are several black-faced people running around the city, and it's really interesting to see them.

On the competition front, Round 1 concludes today. Again, after watching several more players, I feel pretty confident I won't be advancing to the next round of 6, but at least I can't feel horrible getting beat by amazing players! Tomorrow morning is Round 2, which is only Dutch marimba repertoire. Everyone plays one marimba solo, and the entire round takes place in one day. Results will be announced tomorrow evening.

My stay is nearly half over already! I'm having a good time, and learning a lot, but I do look forward to getting back to the states soon. By the way, if anyone wants to email me, feel free, as I usually check a couple times a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment